Today, I’ve got some bad news and some good news.
Good news first: you’re probably more creative than you think you are!
So what’s the bad news? We all tend to give up right at that point when we’re starting to become really creative.
Studies have shown that when we’re facing a creative challenge and things start to feel difficult, we lower our expectations about what we’re able to do. We underestimate our ability to generate more creative ideas.
Today, I’m going to talk about what this means for all of us. I’m going to share more research that backs up this tendency and then I’ll help you understand what you should do when you reach that point of wanting to give up.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Experiments that have proved that people consistently underestimate the number of ideas they could generate while solving a creative challenge.
- What to do when you feel a creative task starting to get difficult.
- Why the best ideas come after you get stuck.
- The danger of stopping when you feel stuck.
- An example of a time I witnessed this happen and clever ideas were produced.
- The power of persistence.