However, today I want to share insights on brainstorming from someone besides me. Mark McGuinness is a fellow author and podcaster. He recently put out an article called “Is Brainstorming A Waste of Time?”
In this episode, I discuss this article and share the case for and against brainstorming. No matter where your opinion on this method lies, I encourage you to listen to the end to hear both sides of the argument. Mark’s insights are very helpful as we explore what role brainstorming plays in innovation.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Mark’s balanced view on brainstorming.
- The benefits of brainstorming.
- How brainstorming gives everyone a voice and a chance to air out their thoughts.
- The four rules of brainstorming.
- The problems with brainstorming.
- The dangers of inhibition and groupthink.
- Why we should compare brainstorming with other techniques of innovation to decide which one to use.
Resources from this episode:
Productivity for Creative People: How to Get Creative Work Done in an “Always On” World by Mark McGuinness
The 21st Century Creative podcast
Downloadable scorecard to rate your idea